Lovin La Cienega


After leaving JF Chen I headed to the design quarter on La Cienega Blvd.  
The beauty of the ivy covered stores beckoned. 
 I headed into Susanne Rheinsteins' store, Hollyhock.  Susanne is known for her sophisticated mix of antiques and decorative arts.  She has created beautiful vignettes within the store where she often hosts book signings and gatherings.


You can see Susanne's designs in her beautiful new book



 Dragonette is where I fell for this clock and it's mysterious history.  


Designed by James Mont, who became known as "the designer to the mafia".   He was a favorite of crime bosses in the 40's and 50's because he made furniture that concealed illegal activities of the day (music?)  His creativity was only matched by his violence which landed him in prison for a time.  I loved that it was a working clock, radio and record player.   I love objects that multi task!




Kristen Buckingham's  (Lindsey's wife, of Fleetwood Mac fame) studio attracted me because of the beautiful exterior similar to that of Hollyhock's.  She has a beautiful portfolio and I like her boho chic aesthetic.


picture via Stylecourt

Downtown, carries something for everyone with it's mix of Italian, French and American design.





Hollywood at Home did not disappoint.  Peter Dunham's showroom carries several beautiful lines of fabric and furnishings besides his own, all with a similar design aesthetic.  His European sensibility was shaped by his International upbringing paired with his American practicality which translates into a easy, global elegance .  You may remember the post I did on Peter's design of The Skaist-Levy House.

picture via Peter  Dunham





Alas, there were not enough hours in the day to see everything.  I will just have to go back because I still have not crossed off several showrooms on my list!


photos: CLI unless otherwise noted
You have read this article design shows / LA / resources with the title Lovin La Cienega. You can bookmark this page URL http://ourpicturewindow.blogspot.com/2011/01/lovin-la-cienega.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Lovin La Cienega"

Post a Comment